Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Take Better Photos: The Ott Lite Difference

So I just got an Ott Lite lamp... and let me tell you - WOW! The difference this light makes in my Etsy pictures is unbelievable. It totally blows me away. I am a completely amateur photographer, and haven't a single clue what I am doing. However, I can tell you that this light has made all the difference in the world and makes me look more than amateur. I know that natural light is the way to go, and I could have set-up shop outside to take my pictures... but, no thank you. I mean, there a many reasons why I would rather use an Ott Lite than go outside. For one, I'd rather not hang out getting a nasty farmer's tan shooting multiple angles on various surfaces in this Texas heat; there are times I spend a significant amount of time taking pictures. And for two, I don't have the patience to constantly set-up and take-down my backgrounds and props, especially when I already have an area in my studio specifically designed for taking photos. Besides, the weather is finicky and unreliable - especially in Texas. So, the Ott Lite investment: well worth it. If you don't believe me, see for yourself.


Ummm, yeah. The first picture is the before - otherwise known as: Pre-Ott Lite, or pre-historic. Pretty shabby, huh?

The glorious second picture is the after - otherwise known as: Dr. John Ott rocks my face off. I wonder if he is on Facebook? I would totally friend him.

I use such vividly colored beads in my jewelry with so many different finishes, and before using the Ott Lite, I constantly found that these characteristics were never properly showcased in my pictures. These features were dulled and hidden by incandescent lighting, regardless of whether or not I used the correct White Balance. What was worse, is that even when I Photoshopped the pictures to look "better" they just looked washed-out. Using the Ott Lite, however, I can now actually portray my brightly colored, shiny, iridescent, and transparent beads! It is so wonderful!

So, I don't know if this does it for you or not, but it definitely did it for me. And, if it does, you may be wondering, "Where exactly do I get myself one of these glorious Ott Lites?" What a great question! I got mine at Micheal's (the craft store). Just so you are not alarmed when you see them, they are pretty pricey. But, never fear, my dear! Just go purchase yourself something cute and little (aka, cheap), upon which you will receive a "50% Off Any One Regularly Priced Item" coupon for the following week and can then go back that following Sunday to purchase your new best friend at half the price.

So, in summary - The Ott Lite: If it doesn't turn you on, it will at least be the light of your life.

I hope this helps! As always, check out the ever-changing stock of photos and jewelry at LOVELiNSY!

Have a great day!
Love, Linsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment